As you all know, one of my very favorite places to eat is Olive Garden. I could eat there every week and I excitedly order the very. same. thing. which would be the Soup, Salad and Breadsticks. Zuppa Toscana soup to be exact! Of course you must wash all this down with a glass of Bellini iced tea also.
The other day my wonderful hubby was telling the girls at work how much I love that soup and one of the girls found a recipe online and printed it off for me. I must admit that I have tried other “sausage and potato soup” recipes in hopes of hitting the same exact taste that Olive Garden serves up in a bowl. I never have found it…… UNTIL NOW!!!
This recipe tastes exactly like the real thing. So I must share it. You must make this. You must eat this. You must enjoy this as much as I.
Makes: 6-8 servings
* 1 lb ground Italian sausage
* 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
* 1 large diced white onion
* 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
* 2 tsp garlic puree
* 10 cups water
* 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
* ¼ of a bunch of kale
1. Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
2. In the same pan, saute bacon, onions and garlic for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
3. Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.
4. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
5. Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
6. Stir in the sausage.
7. Add kale just before serving. Delicious!